Monday, August 26, 2013

Baby steps

It's 3 am and I sit here holding my sweet Ruby as she tries so desperately to take a breath without following it up with a cough at the end. I am balancing holding in her pacifier and the blow by oxygen mask so she'll calm down.

 It's Monday morning and I should be driving carpool this week, but instead I sit here in my recliner/bed that I have had for almost a week now. I can't help but wonder what happened? How on earth did Ruby get sick, when no one at home was sick. Is this my warning about how things are going to be with RSV season? Heaven help me through the rest of this year if she stays at least a week in the hospital for a cold (if that's all it is...there are no conclusions at this point). 
I thought we may be going home today, but she keeps destatting when she has her coughing fits and that seems to be getting worse.  So here we stay.
When I hold her she sleeps...without coughing.  Nurses are shocked its the same baby.  This reason alone is one reason I am grateful I can stay with her in the hospital. She knows me. If anything I can comfort her and hold her as much as she wants...even if it's at an exhausting hour.
Our ward and family fasted for her yesterday. I can't tell you how humbling it is for so many people to sacrifice something on the behalf of our baby girl. We feel the prayers and the blessings. As hard as it is to feel like the ups and downs are more downs than ups, I know Heavenly Father knows Ruby individually. He knows me individually, and He has blessed us in so many ways. Life really is all about the tender mercies. So as I sit here, not able to get a good nights rest, I am going to be grateful for the bond that Ruby and I are getting while I get to hold her in the hospital and she has my full attention.

1 comment:

  1. Mom's have magical powers. Keep it up. Remind me to tell you my tips for RSV season. See if she qualifies for the Synagis shot. Its the RSV vaccine. It is stupid expensive (think $1100 per shot given monthly for 5 months) but it kept us out of the hospital. Ask a nurse there if they think she can get it. But your pediatrician would be the one to arrange it. We even had a nurse come to my house to give it so we didn't have to go to the dr office with all those germs.

    ReplyDelete